Warning: mysqli_num_fields() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in /home/jaunty5/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 3091
In college, I had a terrible time falling asleep: I was racked with anxiety and had lousy personal habits. While I tried counting sheep for awhile, it never helped.
To combat my anxieties, I made a conscious effort to think about only safe, pleasant things when climbing into bed at night.
Here are ten alternatives to counting sheep that might work for you:
- Imagine your dream home and its features
Would you prefer a castle or a beach house? Vaulted ceilings, a fireplace, built-in dressers, a laundry chute, hammocks…. no detail is too small.
- Where would you like to travel someday?
Start making a mental list, then sort it into priority order.
- Count your blessings
Take it from Bing. List your blessings, then mentally arrange them from biggest to smallest.
- What are your greatest strengths? Your best qualities?
You DO have virtues. What are they, and how have they helped you in the past? How could they serve you in the future?
- Tell yourself a fairy tale; aloud
No backtracking, no quitting before the story ends. I did this once and told myself a story about a woman who wore a top hat and had two pet rats… Soon, I would obtain a top hat and pet rats.
- If you had to have a personal uniform, what would it be?
How would it express your personality? Could you wear it every day for a year?
- What are your favorite nutritious foods?
How can you work more of them into your diet?
- Of all the people you have known, which three have most shaped your personality?
Who were the best influences?
- What are your ten all-time favorite songs? Why?
Did Bananaphone make the cut?
- If a movie were made about your life, who would play you?
What would the movie’s chief message be? Would the movie be inspirational or a cautionary tale?
Over to you! Do you count sheep? If not, what are your alternatives? Share your ideas in the comments.