In the spirit of Jesse’s post, I’m going public with my mending.
I’d apologize for the following terrible photography, but that might imply an intent to improve. No promises, folks. For me, bad photos trump no photos, so here goes:
This drop waist denim dress had big ol’ belt loops around the hips, which I removed. You can see the darkened stripes where the loops used to be; that doesn’t bother me on such a casual garment.
For years, I’ve worn this moonstone pendant on the narrow popcorn chain seen above. The bail (loop on the pendant) has always been far too big for a li’l chain, so I added a clasp to a length of rolo chain (scavenged from an old “gypsy belt”). Much better.
This dress was made of two pieces of fabric; a front and back with bits sticking out to become short sleeves— rather than back + front + cap sleeve + cap sleeve, if you follow. The sticking-out-bit sleeves looked silly on me.
On a back + front + cap sleeve + cap sleeve dress, I’d have removed the two cap sleeves and called it a day. On this dress, I tucked the sleeves partially inside the armhole and sewed them there, creating a hint of extended shoulder. This could have created weird lines, but the dress is so draped and ruched that the telltale lines blend right in.
I hope even a small part of that description made sense to someone, somewhere.
1) This skirt’s zipper broke and couldn’t be fixed. I replaced it with the 6″ purple zipper I’d optimistically saved from an old metallic faux leather Bath and Body Works makeup bag. Hence the metallic purple zipper pull.
2) The purple zipper proved to be an exhibitionist and loved unzipping itself in public, so I added two hooks and eyes. Solved.
3) The black cord belt loop broke, so I replaced it with a piece of black ribbon from an old hanger loop. You know, those ribbon loops inside some clothes? I cut ’em off and save the ribbons.
I found this 100% cotton, made-in-France trumpet skirt in a secondhand store, bought it, and foolishly washed it with a load of whites. Now our formerly white duvet cover and a pillow are satiny gray. I consider that an upgrade, but the moral here is still DON’T MIX LIGHT AND DARK LAUNDRY, especially unfamiliar fabrics that may misbehave in the washer.
That story was beside the point.
This skirt has four belt loops, centered like Mickey Mouse’s yellow buttons on the front and back. The loops were oversized for most of my belts, so they stuck out and looked sloppy. I sewed the loops down at the top and now they lie neatly against the skirt. Details matter.
The band on this DKNY bra had stretched out over time. To restore the bra to its former glory, I first adjusted the straps to make them as short as possible, then sewed them in place. Next, I shortened the band by folding it in on itself twice and sewing it together. Now the bra is snug even on the loosest hooks, so I can switch to the tighter hooks as the band stretches. Win!
The next time I alter a bra, I’ll have the foresight to 1) try it on as I go (didn’t feel like getting undressed— lucky it still fits) and 2) shorten the straps last, in case tightening the band effects the strap fit. Look how close together the straps are now!
Sometimes you don’t need impressive skills to save your clothes from the rag bag.
Go mend something. All the cool kids are doing it, and it’s great excuse to watch period pieces on Netflix.